03 August 2005

The Liar - An Introduction

At least I've accepted it. Life, with all its glory, love and beauty, can never be without lies. It's as essential as air sometimes, that you're never fully aware you've immersed in it. It's the lifestyle you project but can hardly afford. The "Good Morning! How are you?" to that self-important old neighbor you got who you'd really rather give the finger than greet. The "twing" sound in your instant messaging when a person who really means nothing to you strikes up a conversation and you try to seem happy to hear from him/her. The diet cola and salad you eat when you're body screams out for a big fat sloppy burger. The pictures you send out to everyone or post on the Net to depict a happy and successful you when the only emotion you have while doing your mechanical boring job is insecurity. Yes, it transcends the superficial everyday and encompasses the very philosophy of your being. It is inevitable.

I remember back in 1995, I used to wear a cardboard name plate with the word "LIAR" pinned to my college uniform. It was part of initiation rites into the (supposedly) prestigious Communication Arts' Students Association, and since I was going to be taking CA as my major, well, might as well jump in all its crap tradition. (It's a whole new chapter to discuss how this field of studies had nothing to arm me up when the "real" life began.) Anyway, we were asked to choose a single word to describe ourselves, and wear that word to the University everyday. While others chose "friendly," "cute," "hard" and even "horny," I was even then a self-proclaimed "liar." Who knows, all of us could very well be telling the truth. But it was the observation of my Philosophy and Logic professor that did it for me. He asked how one can be certain if I am indeed a liar. Because a person who calls himself a liar isn't exactly to be believed or trusted. To that I only replied, "Precisely."

We can all be who we want to be, or lead ourselves and others to believe we are. But that shouldn't take the magic out of life. The mystery out of our persona. You and I should be free to accept that we are and at the same time, we are not who we are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home