21 August 2005

Too big or Not too Big?

That is the question. Often asked, always answered, however never truthfully... at least when it comes to body size. In an age where slimming down comes in a pill, machine or health club membership, people end up asking themselves, "How big is too big?"

Just recently, a friend showed me a pill which promises to cut one's appetite in order to slim down. I was unable to hide my interest. Last week alone, 4 people asked if I was pregnant since I had been putting on weight. Well what does one say to that? I had choices racing through my mind. "No, I certainly wish so, but that was very impolite of you to ask that to my face" or "There's another way to ask that politely, if you try to go with the flow of thinking, which I know is a new thing for you" or just simply, "teka, close ba tayo?" Heheheh. I hate being so polite. The weakling in me just smiled and said, "hindi, tumataba lang." Grrr.

Anyway there I was, intrigued by this pretty expensive, prescription-only pill, the effects of which can be compared to a very powerful and prohibited stimulant - "meth." Your appetite is drastically reduced, you feel like doing a lot of stuff and being productive, some find difficulty sleeping at night, still others complain of upset stomachs. But to those really desperate for "intervention" (as my friend reffered to it), these are but mere inconveniences. She and her husband have been trying it for weeks now and the kilos are dropping. They could only wish it would stay that way long after they've "quit" the drug.

While I was lost in the dizzying pace of their weight loss, I pondered on the odds of them getting back out of shape. And it isn't too far off. These are the folks who think that potato chips and candy bars can be eaten at any time of the day, even for their infant children. That fruits and vegetables are either a figment of imagination or some alien substance eaten only in other galaxies. Their side-by-side fridge loaded to the brink with ice cream and coca-cola. They refer to potato chips and other junk food as "valium" to keep the kids quiet, but in the same breath bemoan that the kids sometimes are too hard to handle, with one of them finding it a hobby to hit other kids (my own daughter is his personal favourite).

Nah, I thought to myself. I better not try it. As much as I've got a control and addiction issue, I don't think there really is a "short cut" to a worthwhile goal. If I am to slim down, I should re-assess and reformulate habits, curb my own perception of health and the most important thing, well, you guessed it -- enforce more control and pass up on the addiction. Thank God it's only chocolates this time around.

Before my family left for this Underworld, I manually copied onto a blank sheet of paper "The Amazing 20-minute work-out" which I got from the Reader's Digest. I remember in the Philippines, despite the stress of working for television news, I made it a point to do this "work-out" at home every single day. And I remember it felt great. The feel of hot sweat trickling down my body, the rhythm of muscles stretching and relaxing and the added energy it gave me throughout the day. I just wish one of these days I get the guts to take that paper off our bulletin board and start sweating once more. Gotta get up and get it done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home